In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Saturday, October 16, 2010

wade, wadai, vadei

I did some research and found it’s name to be Vada in India. It’s origin was South India and it is a traditional snack food. Apparently it comes in many types. ( I say they are cousins!!) So may names linked to it’s ‘Sir’ name ‘Vadei’. Uddina vade DSC_1961 and Paruppu vadai DSC_1959 are the two main ones, followed with at least another ten ‘vadei’… such a big family.

Same ya.. wade, wadai, vadei, vada, vade… I suppose, as long as it sounds the same. Now, it has been accepted into the Malay vocab. I should see it in the latest edition of Bahasa Malaysia dictionary now. How did vadei  came into discussion? Well, a friend brought it up (on Facebook of course) and people in his friend’s list started to comment, including me! So.. confusing.. so many names. I just found out. Well, I gotten a crash course on the many names of ‘vadei’. No wonder sometimes when I just say vadei to the seller, I get vadei but not the one I wanted.

And the talks about this just made my mouth water that I had to make it a point (that very day) to drive to my favourite stall and buy! Hah!!

DSC_1956

(It is in Tesco Shah Alam, the one facing the Selangor King’s Palace. He sells it crispy and freshly fried.)

 DSC_1962

The one that I like is Paruppu vadei or Masala vadei (they are the same by the way)

DSC_1967.

I found a recipe too…. and it’s really not that difficult to make! You’ll need:

1 cup of Bengalgram dhal/chana dhal (Split pea)
1 tablespoon each of finely chopped ginger and Coriander leaves
1 tablespoon cummin seeds
2 onions, 4 green and red chillies
5-6 Curry leaves
1 tablespoon chopped coconut pieces

salt to taste and oil for deep frying.

You’ll have to soak the dhal for a few hours till it has soften a little. Some say overnight. Drain the water completely. First grind two tablespoon of dhal to a fine paste without adding water. Now add the remaining dhal and grind coarsely (just a few seconds) Then, take dhal, onion, curry leaves, ginger, green and red chillies, coconut pieces and coriander leaves pre-chopped and mix all till it is well blended. Make medium sized dumplings, flatten and deep fry in hot oil. You can fry maybe up to six vadas at a time. Once turn golden brown, you take it out, toast off the oil and…

Serve hot.

4 comments:

  1. Salaam sis, Is the type of dal used same as the one for making dalcha?(eaten with roti canai)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is the same. Split pea, you can google to be very sure. ;) I did!! Hope it turns out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thanks alot for posting about this vadei's shop.. Its my papa & mama's shop :)
    Thanks alot once again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very hard to fine this original taste arnd KL..make your orders for any events..please contact Mr.Ajay(Owner)..

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...